Screencaps for Horror of Fang Rock are posted. Review is below the jump.
Monsters: yes, a Rutan, ancient enemy of the Sontarans.
Emotional Wank: 0 out of 10
Intended Destination: Brighton, probably intending to make the opening of the Brighton Pavilion, as referenced in The Leisure Hive.
Actual Destination: Fang Rock, entering the 20th century.
- Bowler hat! Shame he doesn’t keep it.
- “Do not be afraid.” I think Leeloo Dallas Multipass was influenced much by Original Leela.
- When the Doctor tells the Rutan that the signal modulator is gone, there’s a burst of sound like static. I like to think these are Rutan swear words.
- Loot the corpse! How very D&D.
- Everybody dies. Well, not the whole planet obviously, but everyone we get to see.
Comments, Questions, Speculation
- In the commentary, the writer talks about it being mere coincidence that these events happen in a place that already has a legend of a strange beast that causes people to wind up dead or mad. But does it have to be? Why could it not have been about an earlier scouting party, one that didn’t get to stay long enough to bother with doing an autopsy? Ruben recognizes the Beast from Leela’s description of a glowing creature. It could have been the same people.
- We don’t get to find out the Rutan’s name. Maybe he doesn’t have one. He uses first person plural instead of singular – maybe he’s got no individual identity.
Raw Caps: 527
Finished Caps: 173